3/01/2012

Why do we need to Repent?


What does repentance mean to you?
Websters said : the action or process of repenting especially for misdeeds or moral shortcomings.
My personal definition is: A complete turning around and going in the opposite direction by coming face to face toward the God who is my Creator my existence, and away from myself as the first cause and effect of my salvation.
During this past Ash Wednesday a responsibility was handed to me to apply ashes to the many people who came to mass at Saint Joseph Church in Lakeland, Florida. While applying the ashes we were to announce one of the two following phases out of scripture. "Repent and believe in the Gospel" (MK 1:15) ,or "From dust you came and from dust you will return"(GEN 3:19).

We live in a world which is so obsessed with how one looks, and who is looking at me. This is a self-gratifying syndrome that we all face. When our need for feeling the acceptance from people "we hang with", or those we work for, or work for us be our happiness, one has already fallen into a pit of an identity void. The yearning for acceptance to build my self- esteem and need of popularity to be Loved by others drives me. Our culture is so over loaded with fitness and nutrition all for the wonder of keeping one fit and healthy and sexy. Oh Baby how long will this last? These are all good and can even seem to be "godly sentiments" building up ones "spiritual worth". But if we are really honest, the ageing process began the time you came out of your mother's womb. Now that you are here facing a world that has dangers all around, and you fear, you cry, you need protection. The fact is eventually we all will face death. My whole thrust in life is all about me, and my world, and how I can get my needs fulfilled? We are born with a selfish will and desire to be wanted. I am not sure that proves we are born with a "free will" that started at our birth. For is not my will bound up in sin from birth? Psalms 51:5 For behold I was conceived in iniquities; and in sins did my mother conceive me. What about that yearning for more in life? Where is this really coming from a goodness within myself? But, as a Sinner I feel something is lacking, and I set in opposition toward any goodness for others, but only for myself. When I find my Pride staring me in the face like this I know I am a Sinner! With a capital "S" . Then during times of crises and suffering I find an inner prompting of a deep exposure of conscience of my powerlessness to change, and need of One far greater than myself. So repentance is always prompted by the act of God's will to Love me as He Loves everyone, and shows mercy upon all His creatures. Saint Ambrose said in His letter about those who feel they are pure and don't need repentance the following:
Repentance is a radical changing process which in the Church is key to staying face to face with the One who has created me and is crying out in thirst for my soul.

Conversion requires convincing of sin; it includes the interior judgment of conscience, and this, being a proof of the action of the Spirit of truth in man's inmost being, becomes at the same time the start of a new grant of grace and love: "Receive the Holy Spirit." Thus in this "convincing concerning sin" we discover a double gift: the gift of the truth of conscience and the gift of the certainty of redemption. The Spirit of truth is the Consoler.120
Time is fleeting and we are here on this planet not for ourselves but for a much greater purpose. Saint Paul teaches us that only the Holy Spirit gifts us to yearn for understanding in the heart for the true will of God who desires our Love in return.
Jesus exclaims how this gift of the Father is for those who ask.

Yet the asking on our part only comes when we have come to the end of our human passions that distract us from our Father's Love, He wills to only give the best in His Son Jesus. Our Daddy in heaven doesn't compromise His Love with ulterior motives in giving gifts to use on one's own passions. Notice Jesus follows with His Father's will in pouring forth this receiving of Love with others. Only a child who is secure in Daddy's arms enjoys giving to others as he or she has received from Daddy. On the other hand a hurting and embittered child will only ask for him or herself and not even think about others.

So, true repentance is a reality check of one's life journey, and our destiny. The test meter of our Love for one another is taken from the vantage view of the Father's Love for us. Jesus enters into death on our behalf, and gifted as a commemoration in the Holy Eucharist during mass. John chapter six. Glory be to Jesus Body, Blood, soul and Divinity! Now to affirm our destiny in Jesus let us seek Him with all our hearts!